Ads

Friday, November 13, 2009

Vrius free another 6 months

Every six months ubuntu comes out with a new version. I download the livecd and boot into it to scan my windows xp box for viruses (I don't run an anti-virus).

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 649863
Engine version: 0.95.3
Scanned directories: 43392
Scanned files: 516438
Infected files: 0

I think I will keep doing what I am doing. Maybe windows defender is defending me.

My router stops many(most?) virus attacks and I keep everything as updated as I can. I don't open random things and only download things when I was looking for them. I don't use too many software packages that are common vectors. I tend to not download things on the first day/week to give them a bit of time to settle.

For piece of mind I run the antivirus every six months from the livecd, rootkits and all, you know. I once had someone tell me that "You have a virus" (in anger) when I told him I didn't run an antivirus. It doesn't work that way.

No comments: