Ads

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Need opinions on posting commit logs

It seems like it is really easy to make your version control software put a log of commits online.

Anyone have any thoughts to whether it is a good idea or not to have commits posted to twitter or something? (currently debating making a hook for git to send the last commit message to twitter)

Pros:
People can see what you are working on and if you are working

Cons:
People can see what you are working on and if you are working

(note: thinking of personal type repo with school work and little utilities, not some big open source project)

I am normally bad at commit comments, the last 20 for me most recent last(which turns out to be hard to read in that order):


stupid update to a file, doesn't matter, but I wanted to make
|->stuff consistant
updated some sources
fixed the home.sh script
new notes
wmname
slock
slock
slock and wmname first post
dwm updates
dmenu
updates to dmenu
suckless stuff
added a paper with a definition for the word model that I liked
Started on the paper again
added a count words function to my emacs file
added thesis stuff to my resume, need to remember to add my real
|->abstract when I make one
new resume
gah, forgot these
made some sweet ssh stuff happen
updates
I would improve commit comment quality (I hope)

I suppose I could just use github, but I wanted something that I controlled a bit more. for personal stuff.
thoughts?

No comments: