Ads

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Yeast experiments

I had picked up an old book on home wine making at the library (they have donated books that they sell for really cheap) and decided I would eventually make some wine.

I finally got off my butt and started a gallon batch of wine.

I bought an airlock,

I used a glue gun to attach it to the cap of a milk jug in a pressure holding manner.

And used an old milk jug to hold the grape juice (3 concentrate cans + 6 cans of water), 1/2 cup of sugar, and some champagne-like yeast. I started the yeast using the directions on the packet.

Primary fermentation should be about finished by this weekend, I am thinking of racking it over the weekend. Some people say that in primary fermentation you should not use an airlock but loosely cover it, I decided not to listen to them. I agitate it a bit every day. The plan is to rack this weekend (end of 1st wk), then re-rack three weeks later (end of 4th wk), then 3 months later(end of 4 months) it should be ready to drink (I am not sure when I will put it into wine bottles, maybe at the 4 month mark?).

The yeast seem to be doing their job.

remember kids, every thing that you use for wine needs to be VERY clean. I used diluted chlorine bleach (although, the book actually has a line that told you explicitly not to use it, because most people do not rinse enough and it kills the yeast).

No comments: