Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Boat: Self Supporting

Over the last week I put an adhesive (PL Premium Construction) on the inside seams of the boat. Yesterday, I removed the zip ties and the boat is now holding itself together.

The steps were:
Use popsicle sticks (for consistent gaps) and duct tape (for containing glue) on all seams.
Next I applied the glue in between the zip ties and the sticks.

The next step is to fill in the zip tie holes and the gaps from the other side. One that sets I will patch up the inside seams.

The big decision is whether I should use epoxy/fiberglass, drywall mesh/PL, or nothing on the seams once I am done that.

Other than that it just needs paint and testing. I know everyone wants to see the first voyage, so I'll keep you posted on when that will occur.

No comments: